Los Portales

Known as “Portal Real y Portal del Parián”, the mayor Don Diego Ramirez in 1550 had the initiative to do so, and the indigenous council contract to build 300 workers. It is a continuous set of buildings built in stages and housed nine stores dedicated to selling products overseas. Its neoclassical façade popular Renovated in 1985 to be the Town Hall...


Bullring Jorge Aguilar “El Ranchero”

It is said that the space currently occupied by the plaza was once the hospital of the incarnation and the cemetery of the city of Tlaxcala. But by the year 1867 is no record that existed a circle, during the twentieth century modifications were made to be as we now know. It is considered one of the most beautiful in Mexico.


How to Get There


From Mexico:

Leaving the Causeway Zaragoza, you take Highway 150 Mexico-Puebla-Veracruz, and passing (50 meters) of the house Sn. Martin Texmelucan, take the diversion to take Highway 117 San Martin Texmelucan-Tlaxcala, which leads to the City of Tlaxcala. the travel time is approx. 1'45 "from the City of Mexico.
NOTE: You will find a notice on the highway that says TLAXCALA a deviation to the right, Tlaxcala that takes you by the free, you must wait until the second by motorway.


From Mexico:

In the Passenger Bus Terminal TAPO East, there are two bus lines that take you to Tlaxcala ATAH direct service or Primera Plus, with departures from 5:00 am every 20 min.

From Puebla:

In the CAPU (Puebla Bus Station) every 15 min serve two lines ATAH and Greens

From Xalapa:

There AU outings at 2:05, 10:45, 12:45 and 17:45, the trip takes 3 hours.


Government Palace

It is the most important civil building of the sixteenth century, is divided into three segments: the east was known as Las Casas Reales, the middle as the town hall and the west segment as the Corn Exchange. Currently, the building is occupied by offices of the state government, it is important to note that in its interior are painted Murals by Maestro. Desiderio H. Xochitiotzin where I shape the history of Tlaxcala.

Ministry of Tourism “Former Legislative Palace”

In the last years of the nineteenth century began the construction of this building as a residence of the legislature, its façade is covered with gray stone, supported by pilasters with capitals very ornate design. Its opening was recorded on May 10, 1901 by the then Prospero Cahuantzi governor and ran for this purpose until 1982.

Palace of Culture

This beautiful late neoclassical building, he began to build in 1939, its facade is covered with petatillo shaped brick and gray stone ornamentation. initially was the Preparatory School and the State, later became home to some departments UAT and in 1991, was restored to house the Institute of Culture Tlaxcala.


Capilla Real de Indias

Functioned as religious building for indigenous nobles. At the end of the eighteenth century a fire of large collapsed the nave of the chapel and early nineteenth century an intense earthquake partially destroyed the building, being abandoned for many years until being restored in 1984 to house the judiciary.

Ex- convento Franciscano de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción

One of the first four great monasteries of America. The high and low cloisters were built around 1539 and in 1540 worked full convent, east of the great court historically this area is important for having performed there the first plays in Nahuatl, evangelization purposes in 1537.   Today Regional Museum.

What to see?

Constitution Square

It was built as a perfect square of 75 meters per side, is the starting point for the plan of the city in 1524 and was completed in 1548. It acquired its name in 1813 in honor of the Spanish Constitution of Cadiz and the Mexican constitutions of 1857 and 1917. It is the Source of the Holy Cross, donated by the king of Spain Felipe IV in 1646 and The Kiosk, built in the nineteenth century.

Theater Xicohténcatl

In 1873 he represented in that place the battle of May 5, so we can sustain that in that year the building already existed. Relic of the Porfiriato, the old facade of mortar was replaced in 1923 by the current neoclassical carved stone, it was concluded the high until July 1945, and in 1984 was the last restoration to the building of a new roof and making his false ceiling under the style of art nouveau.

Stone House

Southwest of the Constitution Square is located the “Stone House“. XVI century building built by a notary, which stated that anyone left to charge the affairs that led up demanding their pay in kind and those without sufficient funds should lead pieces and quarry Xalnene.

Square Xicohténcatl

Space where about twenty years ago, you install the craft flea market on weekends, recalls the activity that historically there has been, from the colonial era, where the sale of slaves was common practice, according to some chroniclers version

Calzada de San Francisco

It is located in the southeast of the square of crafts, is a tree-lined by thick ash and a floor covered with slabs square quarry and stone ball on top of the road we found a structure composed of three arches, “Paso de Ronda“ that connects the convent with the tower and is unique in the country.

Other Attractions

Escalinata de los Héroes

First is called “Escalinata de la Independencia” by the busts of Miguel Hidalgo, Ignacio Allende, José María Morelos, Josefa Ortiz de Domínguez. Later on November 20, 1998 were added busts of Francisco I. Madero, Ricardo Flores Magon, Emiliano Zapata, Francisco Villa, Venustiano Carranza and Domingo Arenas (revolutionary Tlaxcala).

La Chichita

In the southwest corner formed by the avenues Diaz Vicente Guerrero and there is a small font called “La Chichita”. Water seepage of rain on the area of forest that existed in past, where today the colonies settle Xicohténcatl Loma and San Isidro, originated the small runoff underground in the last decades of the nineteenth century, supplied drinking water to the houses nearby.